Monday, February 7, 2011

Blessings

Sometimes, I sit around and just dwell on negative things. I fall victim to my thoughts as they consume me, and suffocate me. When doubt sets in, I easily lose sight of the things that I have truly been blessed with. It took me 25 years on this earth to figure it out, but I finally understand that everything does happen for a reason. God has used and will continue to use the things that I went through early in life as sandpaper to polish and complete me. I realize that the struggles haven't gone unseen by God, and that he had his hand on my life, guiding me where I need to be. I just turned my back on him. God is so good, and gracious to never give up on us.

I started a new job recently at a homeless shelter/rehabilitation center. When I first heard about the job, I figured it would be some easy money for the summer and then I could quit and finish what I hope to be my last year of school. God had a different plan. I have only been working here for a couple of weeks, but this place is affecting me. It is very humbling and rewarding to see some people that have not been afforded the same opportunities as some of us, or that have suffered great loss and misfortune trying to change their lives. I feel like it was yesterday that I was in the same situation, but my pride wouldn't let me seek out help like some of these people. And because I know the feeling, I am grateful for everything that I have in my life. My troubles started with a rocky relationship with my mother, and that caused a chain reaction of bad things for me. I have had some friends take my kindness for weakness, and have experienced a lot of things in this world. I used to sit around and dwell on these things, but the only thing that gets me, is depressed. Then I started looking deeper into things, and start to find meaning in life and realize that God has been building me for something big. Everyday I am able to create new relationships that provide me with a chance to share what God has done in my life, as well as love on people who truly need it. Just by smiling, remaining upbeat, and treating people politely despite their appearance or attitude towards life, I raise the spirits of people all around me. And that is a gift from God. Since coming to Christ and acknowledging his role in my life, I have been blessed with a wonderful relationship with my mother now, and I have everything that I need. I have a big place reserved in my heart for the less fortunate. That is probably a large part of why I want to adopt a child. To remove a child from what could be a miserable adolescence and present them with the opportunity to grow up with parents who love them unconditionally. To give direction in a way that I wish I had been directed. That is something worth living for. This job is opening my eyes and has reiterated to me that a simple gesture of kindness can go along way.

I am very grateful to have friends that have kept me afloat through all of the troublesome times, and new friends that tolerate me, as I continue to grow from who I was, to who I am, to who I will ultimately be.

With love,

Mr. Johnson

P.S- Always remember: Write your sorrows in sand, and your blessings in stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment